Business and Corporate
Local and international businesses need legal backing and tools to protect their business in the ever-changing economy. Our comprehensive approach assists us in understanding our Clients business and its concerns. We are a one stop shop for businesses. We serve as general Counsel and Company Secretary to many companies and are called upon for representation in specific matters.
We provide a full range of transactional and litigation services to businesses, cooperatives, nonprofit organizations, individuals, schools, and other entities, including:
- Corporate entity selection, registration, and drafting memorandum and articles of association and bylaws;
- Post-incorporation statutory filings and compliance;
- Negotiate and draft corporate control and buy-sell agreements;
- Reorganizations, mergers, acquisitions, and sales of business entities;
- Represent businesses in commercial financing transactions;
- Draft commercial labor and employment contracts and agreements;
- Represent clients in federal and state tax matters;
- New markets tax credit financing;
- Appear before administrative and regulatory bodies
- Tax exemption;
- Due diligence;
- Business succession planning
- Represent business entities in commercial litigation
In the business world, lawsuits are inevitable. We represent individuals, businesses, cooperatives, school districts, municipalities, and other entities in civil actions before trial courts, appellate courts, and federal courts. We also represent clients in administrative proceedings before state and federal agencies.
Our strong litigation background, paired with in-depth subject matter experience, enables us to effectively handle commercial disputes. We have built strong reputations for protecting the interests of businesses in cases ranging from basic contract and property disputes, to collection matters and complex product liability claims.
We look out for amicable solutions for settlement of our Clients’ disputes without compromising their interests. If an amicable settlement fails, we usually propose quicker dispute resolution mechanisms such as negotiation, mediation, conciliation or arbitration. If litigation is inevitable and our Clients’ claim is a liquidated sum, time would be saved by commencing a summary judgment proceeding. If our Client is the defendant, genuine admissions and reasonable offers towards timeous resolution of the dispute are veritable options in preventing litigation from escalating.
Arbitration and ADR Proceedings
We are experienced in ADR processes, including acting as mediators and arbitrators. Likewise, we are experienced in advising and acting as Counsel in institutional and ad hoc arbitrations and mediations across a variety of industry sectors.
We work closely with our Clients to determine the best dispute resolution process to meet their needs. Our Clients have increasingly found that the privacy, flexibility and relative speed of ADR make it a logical choice in business disputes of all kinds, including those featuring complex financial issues. We keep an open mind as to how we can best and most cost effectively secure our Clients’ goals by advising them on the proper drafting of ADR provisions for both domestic and international transactions.
Our areas of work include
- Dispute prevention;
- Drafting dispute resolution and arbitration clauses;
- Risk management;
- Settlement conferencing;
- Enforcement of foreign judgments and arbitral awards;
Setting aside local and foreign judgments and arbitral awards.
Real Estate and Construction
We provide legal advice and representation on real estate purchase, sale, leasing, financing, acquisitions, and all areas of property development matters.
We assist in the negotiation of transactions and drafting of legal documents in areas such as:
- Development lease agreement;
- Purchase and sale transactions;
- Commercial and residential leases;
- Construction contracts;
- Financing and project funding;
- Land acquisitions and sales;
- Commission agents agreements;
- Consultancy and technical service agreements;
- Maintenance Agreements;
- Deed of Assignment and sub-lease;
- Project construction agreements;
- Project management agreements;
- Land conservation easements
We regularize transfer of interest in land, application for building permits and give advice on the legal framework for investing in Nigeria’s real estate sector under the current Private Public Partnership (PPP).
We help our Client leverage on their intellectual property to help them achieve success in the marketplace. We provide counsel on the most effective methods of establishing, developing and protecting IP rights so Clients can realize the most value from those assets.
We assist Clients in disputes regarding rights of privacy and publicity, antitrust and internet and e-commerce issues. We are experienced in;
- Trademark registration;
- Patent registration;
- Copyright registration;
- Industrial design registration;
- Protection of trade secrets rights;
- Intellectual property disputes and litigation;
- Franchise distributorship;
- Passing off and confidential information;
- Agency and license agreements;
- IP opposition and cancellation;
- IP negotiations and assignment;
- Technology transfer;
- International IP registrations;
- Local registration of internationally recognized IPs.
We identify infringements of various intellectual property rights and offer advice on protection of such rights both domestically and internationally.
We specialize in commercial and consumer debt collection. We represent Clients who are owed money for past due accounts. We understand that unpaid debt can cause serious financial damage or even ruin a business.
We understand that every debt is unique and every business has different needs when it comes to dealings with its debtors. We concentrate on finding the right approach for each situation while getting our Clients as efficiently and quickly as possible. Our services include;
- Demand letters;
- Doorstep collections;
- Recovery of premises and mesne profits claims;
- Filing small claims before the magistrate court;
- Bet collections;
- Filing of accounts for businesses with large volumes of debtors;
- Summary judgment proceedings;
- Collection proceedings;
- Enforcements of local and foreign judgments ;
- Enforcement of local and foreign arbitral awards;
- Garnishee proceedings;
- Debt collection before administrative tribunals;
- Asset tracing;
- Risk management;
- Enforcement of foreign judgments and arbitral awards.
Our debt collection firm, Fred-young Recoveries is well-tested and structured to achieve results within a short time. Visit www.fredyoungrecoveries.com for details.
Labor and Employment Law
We represent employers and employees of both private and public entities. We are dedicated to providing effective advice and representation in all aspect of labor and employment law. We handle all types of labor and employment matters including;
- Drafting of employees’ employments and handbooks;
- Formulating employment policies;
- Negotiating collective agreements with labor unions;
- Collective bargaining;
- Termination of employment;
- Negotiating terminal benefits;
- Unlawful termination of employment litigation;
- Unfair labor practices;
- Workers’ disability and death compensation;
- Class actions;
- Industrial actions;
- Unpaid wages;
- Discrimination and sexual harassment;
- Whistleblower’s right;
- Overtime payments;
- Civil service;
- Enforcement of labor rights.
Adoption, Matrimonial Causes and Probate
Family is the most important unit of the society. When your family is facing difficult times or change, it’s important to speak with an attorney who can provide practical advice in the best interest of you and your family. Our attorneys will explain your options, answer your questions, and help you obtain appropriate services tailored to meet your specific needs.
We are dedicated to delivering high quality, experienced family law services, help individuals and families make their own personal decisions and then implementing those decisions through skilled legal representation.
Our trial attorneys provide a unique blend of honesty, objectivity, discretion, and compassion so you can make an informed and rational decision on a wide range of issues including:
- Legal separation;
- Child custody and placement;
- Child support;
- Enforcement of conjugal rights;
- Nullity of marriage;
- Spousal maintenance and family support;
- Post-divorce modifications;
- Prenuptial agreements;
- Post-nuptial agreements;
- Guardian ad litem services;
- Letters of administration;
- Estate plan;
- Power of attorney;
Sports and Entertainment Law
The media, sports and entertainment sector in Nigeria is a budding yet thriving. We have identify the opportunities in this sector and positioned our firm to better advise Clients who require legal advice on finance, borrowing, investment and corporate issues, production and rights acquisition, exploiting media rights, staging and exploiting live sports and other events, intellectual property protection and enforcement, regulatory and administrative issues, anti-trust and competition law, stadium and arena development and resolution of disputes. We also provide a full range of services to the emerging eSport, gaming and betting industry. We provide the following services;
- Sports Arbitrations and Mediations
- Sponsorship Opportunities
- Television and Other Media Rights, Production, and Distribution
- Purchase and Sale of Assets
- Contract Negotiations and Contract Disputes
- Advertising and Promotions
- Financing Deals
- Agent Regulations and Relationship Management
- Collective Bargaining Agreements
- Sports Administrative Matters
Due Diligence Investigations and Process Servers
Due diligence is an essential aspect of any investment, merger, or acquisition. When intellectual property issues are involved and, in particular, when they are driving the transaction, Clients count on us to identify and evaluate the strength of the entity to be acquired, so that Clients understand their value as well as appreciate opportunities and risks.
We work with our Clients to establish specific goals for each due diligence investigation, eliminating outdated assets while focusing greater attention on identifying and evaluating those assets essential to the Client’s operations. We ensure that a business unit being purchased is being transferred to the Client with known encumbrances. We gather and synthesize asset information quickly so as to alert the Client of the legal risks involved.
Lack of proper service affects the jurisdiction of court to determine a matter. We understand the stress that attorneys experience in serving their processes within Nigeria and abroad. We recognize the important role which the courier, process-server and investigator perform in the legal process. We rely on our process server knowledge and experience in serving complaints and subpoenas, filing pleadings, judgments and other court documents, court reporting etc. of local and foreign courts in accordance with the relevant rules of court. We provide prompt service locally, nationally and internationally